Thursday, October 4, 2012

The OWLS Team!

Darcy Meyer: Special Education Teacher
Kristin Moody: Speech and Language Pathologist

OWLS is an acronym for Opportunities with Language and Speech. The OWLS Program was started back in 2004. Our school district was in need of a program for those students that were struggling academically due to moderate to severe speech and language needs. Darcy was already working in the district as a special education teacher when the idea for this type of program was first brought to the table. Kristin was hired to fill the position of the speech therapist in the program. As the first school year moved on we knew we had something special. Throughout our years together we have come up with so many lessons and ideas that we needed a way to share them. We hope you enjoy our Blog as much as we have enjoyed all the experiences that make it up!

A little about Darcy...
I always thought that I wanted to be a teacher and then had a silly idea that I wanted to make more money. When I went to college I tried out several majors but nothing seemed quite right. I took my first education class, spent some time in a classroom and was hooked! I recieved my Bachelor's Degree in elementary and special education in 2000 from Niagara University, then taught for 2 years in Florida before returning to NY to earn my Master's Degree in special education from Nazareth College, finishing in 2005. In the 2008-2009 school year, I began the process to become a National Board Certified Teacher. I achieved this certification in 2009. I am thrilled to be able to start sharing all the work I have done over the past 12 years!

A little about Kristin...
Growing up I had always wanted to be a chef. I always saw myself going to Culinary school and becoming the next big thing on the Food Network. Instead I decided on a school where I could continue playing sports, unsure of what academic path I would take. As I researched the schools that were interested in me as an athlete I came across the Communication Disorders Program at Elmira College. Being a child that spent many hours with a speech therapist, fixing an /r/ distortion, I knew I found my place. My first placement was in a classroom working with children with hearing impairments. I fell in love with ASL and adored that population. I went on to earn my Master's Degree in Speech and Language Pathology at Nazareth College and was awarded my Certificate of Clinical Competence in Speech and Language Pathology in 2010. I consider myself a very fortunate person to enjoy my job as much as I do. I hope you enjoy reading about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment